In the exciting world of technology, two terms that often pop up are “volumetric” and “MetaHuman”. These may sound like complex jargon, but fear not! In this blog post, we’ll break down these terms in plain and easy English to help you understand the key differences between volumetric and MetaHuman by Unreal Engine.
Let’s start with volumetric technology. Imagine you have an object, say a toy or a person. Volumetric technology takes this model and captures it from all angles, creating a complete representation of the object in three-dimensional space. It’s like making a virtual version of something real… like a computer game model.
This technology is commonly used in various fields, such as gaming, film production, and even in virtual reality experiences. The goal is to make things look and feel as realistic as possible, giving users a more immersive and engaging experience.
Now, let’s shift our focus to MetaHuman technology. The term “MetaHuman” refers to highly realistic digital characters that almost seem human. It involves advanced computer graphics and artificial intelligence to create characters with lifelike features, including facial expressions, body movements, and emotions.
MetaHuman technology is often employed in the entertainment industry, especially in video games and movies, to bring characters to life in a way that feels incredibly authentic. The goal is to blur the line between the digital and real worlds, making it challenging for viewers to distinguish between a computer-generated character and an actual person.
1. **Focus on Realism:**
– Volumetric focuses on capturing the physical structure and appearance of objects in 3D space to be as photo real as possible.
– MetaHuman priorities creating characters that closely resemble real humans, emphasising lifelike features and behaviours. They are very hard to get an exact likeness of the real person, and are more suited for generic looks that recreating a lifelike real person.
– Volumetric technology is commonly used for 3D modelling and virtual experiences and film/TV production.
– MetaHuman technology is often employed in the creation of realistic characters for entertainment purposes, such as video games.
3. **Immersive Experience:**
– Volumetric technology enhances the immersive quality of virtual environments by replicating real-world objects.
– MetaHuman technology aims to create a deeply immersive experience by introducing characters that feel remarkably human from a set of stock tools.
In a nutshell, volumetric technology deals with capturing 3D representations of objects/humans to be as real to life as possible, while MetaHuman takes realism is great at creating lifelike digital characters from stock assets and settings but struggles to make it look like a real person due to lack of controls (at the time of writing this at least).
Both contribute to the ever-evolving landscape of technology, offering exciting possibilities for entertainment, gaming, and virtual experiences. Understanding these terms allows us to appreciate the strides being made in bringing the virtual and real worlds closer together.